The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators was formed in 1968 by a group of Los Angeles-based writers for children.
It is the only international organization to offer a variety of services to people who write, illustrate, or share a vital interest in children's literature.
The SCBWI British Isles region offers members support, information and education at a local level. International membership automatically grants you membership to the British Isles Region or any other region local to you.
WHAT CAN SCBWI BRITISH ISLES DO FOR YOU?
For both published and unpublished authors and illustrators, we hope to create opportunities to raise your profile and market your work, meet the gatekeepers to publication, meet fellow writers and artists on your journey, and support you in the development and pursuit of your craft.
- Events - we have a yearly conference, professional series both in the North and in London, masterclasses for authors and illustrators, and more.
- Regional Networks - where in SBWI British Isles are you? Click on the map to find your local chapter and start connecting! Contact network coordinator Addy Farmer for more information about networks.
- Critique - SCBWI champions critiquing as a means to advance one's craft. Find a local group, join a peer-led online critique group or start up your own! Also check out what's available on the main SCBWI.org pages.
- List Serve - all members are signed up to our list serve on Yahoo which is open to all members of SCBWI regardless of location. Contact membership coordinator Anita Loughrey
- The Ning - is our own social network. Each member can set up a page to promote their work or raise their profile. Join your local group, ask a question on the Marketing group, discuss plotting with the Writing Craft group, talk about the business with the Illustrators' Group ... It's a great way to share information and build a platform! Moderator Nick Cross
- SCBWI BI Facebook group - if you're on Facebook, it's a great way to socialize, share information, meet members from all over the world
- Competitions - SCBWI competitions are designed to help raise the profiles of our members. The Undiscovered Voices anthology competition on its second year has resulted in book deals for its winners. Be sure to check the international website for worldwide awards and grants .
- Featured Artists - illustrators get a chance to show of their work on our featured artists slot. Contact co-illustrator coordinator Anne Marie Perks if you want to become the featured artist on this website. Contact newsletter editor Stephanie Williams if you want to become the featured artist on Words & Pictures.
- Group Blog for Published Illustrators - sign up to blog about your illustrating passions. Message co-illustrator coordinator John Shelley
- Follow us on Twitter!
SCBWI BI publishes a quarterly newsletter Words & Pictures primarily for British Isles members which can be downloaded free by all members of our list serve. Words & Pictures is edited by Stephanie Williams. To join our list serve, please contact Anita Loughrey (our list serve is open to SCBWI members worldwide)
SCBWI also publishes a worldwide SCBWI Bulletin is a bi-monthly publication produced in the United States containing comprehensive and current information in the field of children's literature.
SCBWI BI holds a conference for writers and illustrators of children's books every year in November. View our conference website for 2010.
Every other year, an international symposium is held in the run up to the Bologna Children's Book Fair on the fair grounds itself in Bologna, Italy.